SONCAP IMPORT PERMIT have some exemptions. Almost all products to be handled within Nigerian import-value-chain are subject to SONCAP. Some exempted items are stipulated in the Standards Organisation of Nigeria (SON) circular reference SON/SONCAP/EX/Vol. I/005 of April 25th 2013.
Certainly, this circular is updated regularly in the current SONCAP Guidelines via SON website. Thus, this article will show how to get regulatory certificates besides the SONCAP requirement in Nigeria. So, I urge you to read through all things and also check links presented.
SONCAP IMPORT PERMIT: EXEMPTED ITEMS AND HS – CODES DESCRIPTION
Otherwise they are to apply for SONCAP Certification.
|ITEM GROUP||HS-CODE RANGE|
|Chemicals used as raw materials||2510100000-2707000000 2711000000-2713000000|
|Military wares and equipment||3601000000-3606900000, 9301110000-9307000000||Used products except automobiles||–||Products included in the Prohibited Goods List||Medicals except equipment and machines||Branded products with minimal quantity meant for gift/promotional items may be exempted from SONCAP||Bona fide Manufacturer/Assembler members of Manufacturing Association of Nigeria (MAN), who intend to import Machinery and related Spare Parts for their manufacturing, are advised to apply to the Standards Organisation of Nigeria (SON), with their current membership certificate of MAN, for SONCAP Import Permit before shipment.|
SONCAP IMPORT PERMIT: HOW THEN DO YOU IMPORT THESE ITEMS?
- NAFDAC controls food stuffs and chemicals, drugs and beverages.
- Similarly, NESREA is the agency responsible for importation of used commodities. except automobiles.
Read Here: CUSTOMS CLEARANCE: NESREA CLEARANCE PERMIT
SONCAP IMPORT PERMIT: HOW TO OBTAIN NAFDAC PERMIT TO IMPORT
The National Agency for Food and Drug Administration and Control (NAFDAC) is an agency under the ministry of Finance in Nigeria. The agency is responsible for regulating the production, distribution, import and export, etc. of food items, chemicals, water, and the likes in Nigeria. Getting NAFDAC import certification could be really a time consuming process in the immediate past. Thanks to the electronic import permit application system recently introduced to reduce human interface. As a result, things are now smoother in this area.
SONCAP IMPORT PERMIT: The registration process for NAFDAC Permit is in two general stages:
SONCAP IMPORT PERMIT: Application for Approval to Bring in Samples.
Firstly, there is an application for authorization to bring samples for NAFDAC examination.
SONCAP IMPORT PERMIT: Manual Application Procedure for Registration
- Written application for product registration is made to the Director (Registration and Regulatory Affairs) stating the name of the manufacturer, the generic name (and brand name, if applicable) of product, product strength and indications.
- The applicant should obtain and fill the prescribed NAFDAC application form (Form D-REG/001)
- Attach Certificate of Incorporation issued by the Corporate Affairs Commission
- Applicant must attach Comprehensive Certificate of analysis of the batch of the product for registration from the manufacturer stating name and signature of the analyst.
- Present Packs of the products samples
- Also Present Evidence of pre-product inspection or Certificate of Recognition issued by NAFDAC
- Present Notarised original copy of the duly executed Power of Attorney from the product manufacturer (imported product)
- Show Certificate of Manufacture issued by the competent health or regulatory authority in the country of origin and authenticated by the Nigerian Mission in that country (if foreign import). Where there is no Nigerian mission, the British High Commission or an ECOWAS country Mission will authenticate.
- If contract-manufactured, Contract Manufacturing Agreement properly executed and notarized by a Notary Public in the country of manufacture.
- Present Evidence of Membership of the State’s Traditional Medicines Board (Herbal Medicines)
- Technical Document (Herbal Medicines)
- Certificate of Pharmaceutical Products (COPP) duly issued and authenticated
- Current Superintendent Pharmacists license to practice issued by the Pharmaceutical Council of Nigeria
- Premises Registration License from Pharmacists Council of Nigeria (PCN)
- Warehouse acquisition or premises acquisition(if applicable)
- Certificate of Trademark Registration of brand name with trademark registry in the Ministry of Commerce here in Nigeria
- Letter of invitation from manufacturer to the Director General of the NAFDAC to inspect factory abroad, stating full name and location of the plant.
- Make informative, clear and accurate labeling of the products
- Finally, payment of the prescribed fees and finalization.
SONCAP IMPORT PERMIT: HOW LONG TO OBTAIN NAFDAC FOR EXEMPTED GOODS
This process could take up to 3 or 4 months to complete. Hence, the electronic application for NAFDAC Permit has made things easy.
Furthermore, my next article will walk you through on the NAFDAC e-licence.
Read Also: FORM M NIGERIA: HOW TO PROCESS AND OBTAIN IT
In the Nigerian import-value-chain, almost all items are covered by SONCAP requirement in Nigeria. However, NESREA is the agency responsible for importation of used commodities. Finally, NAFDAC controls food stuffs and chemicals. Additionally, next article will treat NAFDAC e-licence procedure.