Are you aware that hibiscus flower is money maker? Do you know that the flower cut and thrown to the gutter in some places is planted for export in other places? Information from Nigeria Export Promotion Council reveals that Nigeria earned over $35 million from the export of hibiscus flower in 2017. What really is hibiscus flower? What does it take to export this new commodity? How may you participate in the export of hibiscus and earn foreign currencies? This article will answer these questions and provide much more.
HIBISCUS FLOWER: WHAT IS IT?
Hibiscus flower in its dry form is called “zobo” leaf in Nigeria. Hundreds of species of hibiscus exist in different parts of the world. Biologically speaking, hibiscus flower is classified as a flowering plant. This article will not delve into the biology of hibiscus.
WHAT ARE USES OF HIBISCUS FLOWER?
The following are the uses of hibiscus flower:
- Hibiscus flower is used in preparing zobo drink in Nigeria
- Used to make different kind of tea
- Rich source of vitamin C
- Used as vegetable in soups
- Dried hibiscus is used as food in Mexico for instance
- Used as medicinal additive to lower blood pressure
- Also used in paper-making
- In Mexico, hibiscus is used to make popular juice called jamaica
SOURCES OF HIBISCUS PLANTS IN NIGERIA:
Hibiscus plants are sometimes cut and discarded ignorantly in homes and surroundings across Nigeria. The plant can grow and survive in many parts of the country. For export purposes, hibiscus plant can be got in commercial quantity from the northern part of Nigeria known for its farming. Harvesting of hibiscus is late December to early January. I encourage growing of hibiscus plant personally.
WHO ARE THE BUYERS OF HIBISCUS?
The question of who buys hibiscus is probably the most important question in this article. Buyers include Mexico, Germany, European Union, Asia, America, etc.
HOW TO EXPORT HIBISCUS FLOWER
Let me present this part in bullet points. Some of these requirement you may already meet, others you have to work to get.
- Register your business with the Nigeria Corporate Affairs Commission – CAC
- Obtain an export license from the Nigeria Export Promotion Council – NEPC. See my article for: STARTING EXPORT BUSINESS NIGERIA: EXPORT CERTIFICATE
- Do market search for buyers on the internet
- Search for local producers
- Seek help for a Customs Clearing Agent. Call Vagmon Group on +2349075526276
- Package sample products and send to would-be-buyers
For detail on export procedure, see my article for: NIGERIA EXPORT PROMOTION COUNCIL: EXPORT GOODS FROM NIGERIA
Huge untapped market exist for hibiscus flower. Some wise Nigerians are already earning huge amounts of foreign currencies from hibiscus exports. Why not join the moving train today? You can make a lot of money growing or exporting hibiscus. Consult with us at +2349075526276. Thank you for reading this article.