.What is SON Import Permit Nigeria? Sometimes, the purpose of import is tied to a particular project, or is for a predefined set of products over a protracted period of time. This is the case with producers who intends to import machinery or related spare parts for their manufacturing. In such cases, the importer considered as Bona fide manufacturer, is advised to apply to the Standard Organisation of Nigeria for SON Import Permit.
SON IMPORT PERMIT NIGERIA: BONA FIDE MANUFACTURER
For an importer to be recognised as a bona fide manufacturer, he must be registered with the Manufacturers Association of Nigeria (MAN). In contrast, If unregistered with MAN the company would have to apply for the SON PC and SONCAP for importations. The SON Import Permit enables manufacturers to import at their own pace. Once approved, the Import Permit will be used for to obtain form M and PAAR. Certainly, the Form M/PAAR are needed for initiation of shipping and Customs clearance in Nigeria for any given batch of import.
SON IMPORT PERMIT NIGERIA: WHAT DOCUMENTS DO YOU NEED?
First of all, before you jump into the application and realise that your documents are not complete, let me inform you to keep the following documents ready:
- Company certificate of incorporation
- MAN membership Certificate for manufacturing organisations and related industries. Other companies like oil servicing need not have MAN but DPR certification.
- MANCAP Certificate; this stands for Mandatory Assessment Programe, and is issued by SON. The purpose of MANCAP is to ensure that all goods produced in Nigeria meet all Nigeria Industrial Standard (NIS) before being presented to the open market or exported. I will go deep on MANCAP in a separate article.
- MAN current subscription
- Sample proforma invoice with some of items of import with seller’s detail
- An excel sheet of all items to be imported for the period stated in the format I shall show you down the article.
HOW TO PROCESS SON IMPORT PERMIT NIGERIA
What I will do in this article is to walk you through the SON Import Permit Nigeria application process. Consequently, you will see more images than write-ups in this article.
SON IMPORT PERMIT NIGERIA APPLICATION: Step 1:
- Go to here
- create a new account per below image by clicking new account
- make a note of your account detail; password and email for login purposes. Of course, you can always do a remember my account in case of misplacement.
SON IMPORT PERMIT NIGERIA APPLICATION: Step 2:
- confirm your account in the next popup box that appears
SON IMPORT PERMIT APPLICATION: Step 3:
- Login to your account by clicking continue in the above dialogue box.
SON IMPORT PERMIT APPLICATION: Step 4:
- Enter your company detail below
- Your business address can be same as warehouse/factory address
- Enter RC/Business Number as in the Certificate of registration with the Corporate Affairs Commission (CAC).
- Click next to continue
SON IMPORT PERMIT APPLICATION: Step 5:
- Select your class of business; oil and gas exploration, oil and servicing, company importing items for specific project, company occasionally importing general goods, manufacturer, etc.
- Select type of import; options are annual import (1 year), single import, bi-annual import (6 months) and quarterly (3 months). Each has its price, with the annual being about NGN10 million.
- Select company size: options are small (1000-5000 000 investment), large (5000 000 – 50 000 000), mega (above 50 000 000).
- Attach all certificates and sample pro forma invoice and click next to proceed.
SON IMPORT PERMIT APPLICATION: Step 6:
- Enter detail of items of import according to below image, otherwise prepare an excel sheet for multiple items and import them by selecting add multiple products.
SON IMPORT PERMIT APPLICATION: Step 7:
- Submit your application. Make sure all items or goods of import for the period applied are included in your application before submitting the application. The popup that comes after clicking submit button gives another opportunity for you to double check. Once submitted, SON will get back to you on amount and pay procedure.
The advantage of SON Import Permit over the SONCAP is that there is no two step certification (PC and SONCAP) on each shipment. As a result, Import Permit is used for both Form M and PAAR for each shipment throughout validity period. Therefore, if you import similar products on regular bases, I recommend SON Import Permit.
Read Also: FORM M NIGERIA: HOW TO PROCESS AND OBTAIN IT
This article has shown easy steps to getting your SON Import Permit Nigeria. If your importation is tied to a project with a deadline, and is regular basis, then consider going for SON Import Permit. Equally, the permit is also helpful if you are doing a one-of (single) import. Furthermore, SON Import Permit is easy to use for Customs cargo clearance in Nigeria. Then too, contact Vagmon Integrated Services (+2349075526276) to handle all things for you.